6/09/2008

Goodbye, Utila

It's official: I'm a scuba diver! I finished class yesterday and I have to say I enjoy it a lot more than I expected to. I'm considering taking another course in Bocas del Toro in Panama, but we'll see.

Utila has the coolest restaurant I've ever seen, called The Jade Seahorse. There's an upstairs bar called the Tree Tanic, and it's like a treehouse. Over 17 years the owner has built further and further back so that it's now a huge complex of fairytale architecture and art. It's like a combination of Neverland, Ewok village and Rivendell. The decor reminds me very much of the Gaudi buildings in Barcelona.






This is the view from the deck of the dive shop where I took my class. You can see the mountains of the Honduras coast in the background. It's been a great week here. I expect I'll come back in the future to dive with whale sharks, since I just missed the season this time. Tomorrow I leave for Copan, a Mayan ruins site in western Honduras, and then I'll head south to Costa Rica.