6/19/2008

Unorthodox travel methods

One of the hassles of traveling, anywhere, is getting to and from the airport. The airport in Bocas del Toro is pretty convenient, all in all. My hostel is five blocks away from the airport.

The picture below was taken from the main intersection in town on Isla Colon. Three blocks away you can see a gate. Beyond that gate is the runway. The young men walking in that direction are going to the airport so they can be there when the next flight arrives. They´re touts, people who 'help' arriving tourists finding lodging, tours, etc.




I finished my Advanced Open Water scuba certification today. I went on my first night dive last night, which I can´t say I really enjoyed. It was pretty spooky, and I burned through my air pretty quickly. Today I went on my first shipwreck dive, which was more to my liking. I saw a school of squid, maybe 200 or so, the largest group my instructor has ever seen.

I have 2 days left in Central America. Saturday I leave the island for Panama City, then fly to Marrakech, Morocco the following day. As tough as it can be communicating in a Spanish-speaking country, at least I can sound out the words. In Morocco I won't even be able to read the alphabet. I bought a book-CD combination for Arabic so that I can at least say the key phrases. Then I need to do the same in Russian. And Mongolian. And Mandarin. And Thai...

You can only get to Bocas by boat or plane. I flew in, but I´ve heard that the boat ride to-from Changuinola is beautiful, through canals used by the old banana plantations. It´s $6 for an hour boat ride. So I looked into what it would cost to fly from there as compared to here. The cost is the same. And the flight from Changuinola connects here (after a 15-minute flight). So I´m taking the boat to Changuinola, then flying back here, then flying to Panama City. Not the way I would have planned it!