7/28/2008

Final thoughts on Moscow

I like this city a lot more than I expected to. Everyone in St Petersburg said that it would seem drab and dingy by comparison. But it's a vibrant city and quite beautiful in a more muscular sort of way. There's a lot of money flying around here these days and I think it gives the city a certain energy.

Even though I was here a week I still didn't see everything I hoped to. I had planned on going inside the Kremlin today. But after a week of warm, sunny weather I awoke to a cold, drizzly day. I walked down there, but the line was long, and more to the point, everyone I've talked to who went inside said it was disappointing.

So instead I used the afternoon to stock up on supplies for the train, including the one currency that's accepted everywhere: vodka.

Yesterday marked the two-month anniversary of my departure. By this time tomorrow I should be in Asia, my fourth continent in two months. The idea behind this trip was to backpack through Asia so in a way I'm just getting started! I still haven't been to any of what I envisioned to be the highlights of the trip, so hopefully the best is yet to come.