8/02/2008

Eclipse

I was bummed that I couldn't stop in Novosobirsk to see the eclipse. There were a lot of people on the train who were in Siberia just to see it. I was surprised to find there's a whole worldwide subculture of people who travel to see every eclipse.

Although I didn't get to see the "totality" (as the eclipse geeks would say) I did get to see the eclipse from Irkutsk. My Swedish friend Kjerstin and I found a nice park with a clear view and watched as best we could without burning our eyes out. From where we sat the sun was roughly half eclipsed.

I tried to take a picture through my sunglasses. You can see a slight indentation in the bottom right of the sun if you're looking for it.



And here is me with the partially eclipsed sun in the background.



And here's a self-portrait of Kjerstin and I. Yeah, she's a little crazy...



She's an avid horse rider and leaves tomorrow for Mongolia for a 12-day horseback riding adventure.