9/24/2008

Everest, here I come

After a few days resting and recharging in Kathmandu I finally booked a trekking tour. There are two tours I want to do here, the two most popular with tourists. One is to Everest Base Camp, the other a circuit through the Annapurna region. For my first trek in Nepal I figured I had to see Everest.

I was planning on doing a self-guided "teahouse trek" without porters or guides. Because these routes are so popular there are lodges all along them that cater to tourists. So you don't need to carry food or a a tent.

But hiking at over 15,000 feet in the Nepal Himalayas is not something to be undertaken lightly. I decided I should err on the side of caution and joined a tour group. I'm going with 5 other tourists, a guide and porters on an 18-day trek to Everest Base Camp. All I'll need to carry is a small knapsack.

When I return I'll decide whether I'm willing and able to do an Annapurna trek on my own.

Last night we had a group meet-and-greet dinner. The food was good and there was a group of young performers doing traditional dances to the accompaniment of a live band. There are plenty of other tourists visible in this photo. Oh, and a yeti too.



As a result I will not be updating the blog or responding to email for about three weeks.