10/27/2008

Paragliding

A few days ago I went paragliding, which is where you jump off a hill with a parachute on your back and hope it opens. It's quite exhilarating and relaxing at the same time. You float on thermals, columns of warm air, the way birds do.

Since I don't actually know how to do any of this I went tandem, with a "pilot", who tried to show off, but ended up taking a wrong turn, so we had to land early. It was fun while it lasted. I highly recommend it, but do NOT go with the Blue Sky company in Pokhara.

(We were supposed to land on the other side of the lake and have a van drive us back to town. We landed on the wrong side, so I walked up to the office. I calmly pointed out that I was supposed to have been in the air for 30-40 minutes and got about half that. She asked where the rest of my group was so I pulled her outside, pointed to them way up in the air and said, "Up there!" They offered me a free t-shirt...)

I took a cheap disposable camera because I didn't want to spend the rest of the day looking for my digital camera after I dropped it a few thousand feet. So the picture quality is even worse than usual, but you get the idea.

Here I am with the Annapurna Massif in the background.



And this is the view looking down on Pokhara.



This is what it looks like from the other side of the lake, from a Buddhist monument called the Peace Pagoda. I wasn't fortunate enough to get as high as this guy, the tiny dot in the middle of the big cloud.