12/01/2008

Disaster averted

I haven't written much lately, partly because of the weather, partly because of the protests at the airport, but mostly because I've been nursing a bad back.

I had back surgery in 2003 and again in 2006. In 2005 I had a major car accident that left me with chronic back spasms. That didn't require surgery but I did go to physical therapy for months. At first I thought I might have re-injured it. The pain was downright scary. But I'm pretty sure it's just spasms. Not a show-stopper.

So I've spent the past five days resting in Bangkok. I'm extremely fortunate that it happened when it did. If it had happened on the trail in Nepal I would have been screwed. But I was able to stay in a clean, new hostel with a big, comfy bed and frigid air-conditioning in a modern city, with everything I need within walking distance.

And because the airports are closed, there have been no tourists coming in, so last night, not only did I have an 8-bed dorm room to myself, there were only two other guests in the hostel. How's that for peace and quiet!

For the bulk of the past five days I've been lounging on a careful arrangement of bean-bag chairs in the common room, reading and watching movies on iTunes on my laptop. All things considered, not a bad way to recuperate.

Even if I had wanted or needed to fly home I wouldn't have been able to. So I had no choice to rest until I either felt better or the airport opened. I'm feeling better, so tomorrow I'm taking a bus to Cambodia. I expect to feel like crap after eight to ten hours on a bus, but I decided I am not heading home without visiting Angkor Wat.

In two days or so I should have some awesome photos...