1/30/2009

Happy New Year!

I booked a deal through my guest house in Chiang Mai to get to Laos. A minivan picked me up there in the morning and drove me to Chiang Khong, a small town on the Thailand-Laos border. I was given accomodation in a decent guest house overlooking the Mekong River, three meals, a taxi to the dock, a ferry to Laos, a taxi to the dock on the Laos side, and two days on the slow boat, all for about $50.

People have suggested I write a book about the trip. If I were, I think it would be about how disappointingly easy it's been. I've read that even a few years ago this was a tricky border crossing. It took me about five minutes to arrange door-to-door service, and I didn't even need to leave my guest house.

A few of us at the guest house decided to walk through town and find a place to grab a beer. We heard music coming from a parking lot a bit off the road so we wandered down, into a raging karaoke party.

Apparently the local power company was having it's Lunar New Year celebration. Notice that even though they work in a fairly remote corner of Thailand their uniforms are printed in English.



I think. It was hard to tell because I don't speak Thai, they didn't speak English, and they were all snotslinging drunk. Plates and empty beer and whiskey bottles were piled on picnic tables, so it seemed they had been going at it for a long time.

They managed to convince some of the tourists to get onstage and sing karaoke. It was one of those weird surreal travel moments, being on the Thai-Lao border watching three Germans sing John Denver's "Country Roads" in English.



They were generous with their alcohol. They tried to give me whiskey, but I said I'd prefer beer. So someone handed me a glass of ice, then poured warm beer over it. Mmm...

Then
they poured the whiskey over the beer.

What's the Thai word for "hangover"?