1/31/2009

Luang Prabang

After two days on the slow boat I arrived in Luang Prabang, which my travel guide says may be the prettiest town in Southeast Asia. I don't know about that, but I did enjoy it. The main part of town is a peninsula formed by the confluence of the Mekong and Nam Khan Rivers. It's just touristy enough without being overwhelmingly so.



This is the view from a sidewalk cafe on the north side of town. On the other side of the Nam Khan are gardens and thatch huts, with a bamboo bridge connecting the banks of the river.



The highest point on the peninsula is Phou Si, a great place to watch the sunset, I was told. Apparently I wasn't the only who got the memo.



I've been to a few popular sunset spots, but I've never seen anything quite like this: a Buddhist temple with bleachers for sunset watchers! I couldn't get a decent picture through the crush of tourists.

The local government has a list of rules in each hotel room. Now, I get annoyed by tourists who make fun of poor English translations.

Look at this. It says 'having' instead of 'has'! Isn't that hilarious!

I'm immensely grateful make the effort. I'd rather read mangled English than try to learn Lao on the fly.

So it's not necessarily the style but the content of the rules that concerns me.



The picture is lousy even by my lowly standards, so here are the rules in question:

Do not any drugs, crambling or bring both women and men which is not your own husband or wife into the room for making love.

Do not allow domestic and international tourist bring prostitute and others into your accomodation to make sex movies in our room, it is restriction.


I couldn't help but wonder what gone on in my room before I got there...