2/14/2009

Rough Morning Vietnam

I know, I know ... it's a pretty weak title for a blog post. Even worse than The Secret Treehouse, which sounds like a Hardy Boys mystery. Bear with me. I'm feeling a little rough around the edges after a couple nights checking out the nightlife in Saigon.

I generally don't go out drinking when I travel. It's expensive, for starters. From what I've seen bars everywhere look the same for the most part, and drunks all look and sound the same, no matter where they're from or which language they speak.

If I have people to hang out with I'll go out, but I don't like going to bars by myself.

But perhaps the best reason for not going clubbing while traveling is that I end up waking up feeling the way I did today and wasting an entire day. I thought I'd spend the day bringing the blog up to date but the creative juices just aren't flowing. It's hard to write when your muse is nursing a hangover. I've got a lot to write about from Cambodia and Vietnam, but not today.

I've been wrestling with a long post about Phnom Penh, but I'm still trying to get my head around the place. It's fascinating, exhilarating, wild, beautiful, horrifying and sometimes dangerous. I'm intrigued by Cambodia, probably more so than any other country I've visited. Of all the countries I've visited, this is the one I'd like to spend more time in and get to know more intimately.

Tonight I'm heading to Nha Trang, which is supposed to be the best beach and scuba spot in Vietnam. I'm taking a sleeper bus for the first time. It has actual beds, so I might actually get some rest. I'll hang out there for a few days and then fly back to Bangkok. A friend of mine from the US is joining me there and we're going to do some diving. I'm looking forward to having a travel buddy for a while.