3/05/2009

Saigon, Round Two

I had planned on flying to Buenos Aires the day my friend from the States flew back home, but I decided instead to return to Vietnam. (I had purchased a multi-entry visa with this possibility in mind.)

I only got to see Saigon and Nha Trang on my previous visit here. I want to see more of the country, especially Halong Bay, which is in the north. So I'll take a couple weeks to travel up the coast. From there ... we'll see.

It may be too late to do the two things I most want to do in Argentina: hike in Patagonia and check out the wildlife on Peninsula Valdes. So maybe I'll spend the rest of the trip in Southeast Asia. There's still plenty to see and do here. Plus, it's kinda cool having a tan for the first time in, oh, 15 years!

I had always planned on making Machu Picchu the last major stop on the trip, for sentimental reasons. So I'll probably just do a shortened version of my original planned itinerary for South America. A travel buddy I met in Morocco just moved to Buenos Aires, so it would be foolish to not go.

Ask me tomorrow and I'll have a different plan...

I've decided to set aside tomorrow to get caught up on the blog, email and other computer nerd stuff. I think I have 12 or 15 posts swimming around in my head, so I foresee a long day at the coffee shop...

In the meantime, here's a picture taken from Maya Cove on Koh Phi Phi Leh, the beach used in the crappy movie "The Beach".



The beach itself is maybe 150 meters long. Just to the right of this picture are, oh, about 10,000 tourists. I am exaggerating, but not by much.