10/11/2009

Just Kathmandu it

One of my few regrets from my round-the-world trip was that I didn't budget my time well in Nepal. I didn't leave myself enough time to hike what is considered the best trail in Nepal, the Annapurna Circuit. I hiked to Annapurna Base Camp, but did not do the full circuit. It takes at least three weeks. The best time to do it is in October.

I just finished my TEFL class and have been stressing about where to teach. I haven't even decided which country to teach in, let alone which city, school or grade. I took a bus from Saigon to Phnom Penh and spent a couple days there. I took a bus from Phnom Penh to Bangkok, which is where I am now.

Tomorrow I fly to Kathmandu. I decided to take advantage of the opportunity. When is the next time I will have the entire month of October free? I really can't afford it, but I can't pass up the chance. It'll give me time to think, unwind and lose some weight!

I have a few more posts I'll try to publish before I hit the trail. I was flabbergasted last year when I found internet cafes on the trails in the Himalayas, so I wouldn't be surprised to find internet access on this hike. For all intents and purposes though, once I start the hike I will be off the grid for at least three weeks.