10/16/2009

Ready, set, go

I have my permits. I have just about all the supplies I'll need. I have a bus ticket. All that remains is the hike. All 21+ days of it...

I did the Annapurna Sanctuary hike last year by myself. No porter, no guide, just me and my backpack. It was tough but immensely satisfying. Last year when I hiked here I had already done the Everest Base Camp hike, so I was acclimatized and had my legs under me. This year I'm starting cold.

I have plenty of time to do the hike before my visa expires so I'm going to take my time. The key to avoiding altitude sickness is not over-exerting yourself. I am looking forward to the hike, generally considered to be the best in Nepal -- and that's saying something.

I am not looking forward to Thorung La, a 5,416 meter (17,900 feet) pass I will have to cross in about 10 days. I got up to 5,550 meters on the Everest hike, and it was brutal. This time I'll be carrying a full pack. Wish me luck.

The blog will continue while I am gone. I've got a few posts I've scheduled to publish every few days while I'm gone.