10/31/2009

Thorung La


I didn't do the full Annapurna Circuit hike as I had planned, for reasons I'll detail in a future post. I did have 15 days of mind-boggling scenery, absolutely perfect weather, new friends and surprisingly good food.

The literal high point of the trip was Thorung La, which, at 5,416 meters (17,873 feet) may or may not be the highest trekking pass in the world. It was easily the toughest day of hiking I've ever done. To get to the pass we had to ascend 1,000 meters (3,300 feet). Then we had to descend 1,600 meters, which was far harder, since much of the trail was covered with ice. Two days later I would be walking up the mountains in the distance into the Upper Mustang region.

I probably won't get around to writing anything until I return to Vietnam in about two weeks. That will give me time to sort through all the pix.