12/21/2010

I am a dork



The Saturday before Halloween was a big night out in Phnom Penh. Bars and clubs that cater to an expat clientele had parties but few people went out in costume. The girls at my favorite restaurant, Metro, all wore wigs. So did the guys...


Here I am with Ponlok. Normally he is breaking the hearts of tourist girls because he's a fit, good-looking guy who is also happily married with two adorable kids. He didn't break any hearts this night. Except mine, when I saw this photo on facebook!

Afterwards I joined the Metro crew at St Tropez, one of the the more upscale nightclubs in town. One girl showed up in costume. Sort of. She was wearing traditional áo dài, the traditional silk clothes Vietnamese women wear, and a nón lá, the traditional Vietnamese bamboo hat. I don't think a Vietnamese girl wearing Vietnamese clothing qualifies as a costume but, hey, give her points for at least making an effort.

One of my Cambodian friends, Sokim, was modeling the Vietnamese girl's hat for a photo. Kunika and Hengsuch decided they wanted to get in on the action.


You may remember Sokim from a previous post, in which I said she's the most gorgeous girl I have ever seen with my own eyes. Photos don't do her justice. Sure, you can see her perfect bone structure, but you can't get a sense of her poise and elegance.

She's not looking so elegant here. But at least she comes off better than I do. I was sending a text message to a friend making arrangements to meet at another club. Two gorgeous women are pretending to bite the boobs of my dreamgirl and there I am in the background with my nose buried in my celphone.

I am a dork.