3/05/2011

Service with a smile

One of the myriad differences you encounter while traveling is what passes for customer service in other cultures. I'll address restaurant service here in a different post but in the meantime I thought I'd share a funny sign I saw at a market here.

Psar Toul Tom Pong is still known to foreigners as the Russian Market, as it was known during the French colonial days. It's an enormous market where you can buy almost literally anything. It's a popular spot on the tourist trail, but also popular with locals.

Tourists love markets. I don't get it. For starters, as I've mentioned before. I hate haggling. Hate hate hate it. No matter what country you go to you see the same knockoff crap. I usually don't like the atmosphere, either. Too pushy, too high pressure. In Morocco stall owners will literally drag you into their stalls. Cambodians are more low-key. You walk through the markets and most sellers don't even acknowledge you, let alone try to block your way as they do in other countries.

Even so, it cracked me up to see the sign on this stall.


"How is our staff service?" I was tempted to call the number listed just to see who answered. Needless to say, this sort of Western touch is not common. I wonder what the Khmer writing above it says. Does it say "How is our staff service?" in Khmer? Or does it say "We put up this stupid sign because someone told us foreigners like to see this sort of thing"?