4/01/2011

Saigon kiss

Tomorrow I am taking the bus to Saigon to visit friends for a few days. Believe it or not, as of April 13 I will have been living in Cambodia for a year! I can't believe how fast it went. So in honor of my triumphant return to Saigon I thought I'd write about my first Saigon kiss.

I never got one while I was in Vietnam. I've gotten two in Phnom Penh. Motorbikes are the primary mode of transportation in both countries. Motorbike mufflers get hot. Eventually you will get careless when you get off your bike and the muffler will burn your leg.


It looks like hell but actually -- no, actually it hurts like hell too. Hydrocortisone cream helps the itching but there's no avoiding the elliptical scar that results.

Of course, girls ride motos too. I am working on a post on footwear fashions in Southeast Asia. Long story short, many girls here wear high heels all the time. My friend To, who I am writing about in another post, does not own a pair of flat shoes. There is nothing sexier than a pretty young girl wearing short shorts and high heels on a scooter. One of the many joys of life in Southeast Asia...

As a result you see shockingly pretty girls wearing the least amount of clothing allowed by law and sexy shoes to show off their long slender legs, legs which happen to have constellations of scars from muffler burns and moto accidents. And yes, as you have probably guessed, I find this sexy too.