6/30/2008

Tangier

I went to sleep on a train in the baking heat of Marrakech and awoke to a stiff Mediterranean breeze in Tangier. How long was I asleep!?

Marrakech is a lovely city, in a muted way, due to the murderous heat. Tangier is mor glamorous, perched above the water on a spectacular harbor. While Marrakech is mostly pink, Tangier is mostly white, and it shines in the sun.

Perhaps I should have called this blog "Things That May Interest Only Me" because I'm ticking off a list of things to do that people generally don't get as excited about as I do. Like this picture.




I'm standing in Morocco, in Africa. In the distance, you can see Spain, in Europe. I think that's pretty cool.

I had been following the Euro Cup but I lost track in Morocco. Had I been paying attention I might have hustled over to Spain a day early to watch the final there. Spain won, of course, so I'm sure I missed a heck of a party! There were a lot of Spaniards in my hotel (and the surrounding cafes), so every time something good (or bad) would happen the whole neighborhood would erupt.