6/30/2008

The Rock

I left Morocco this morning, but I'm not sleeping in Spain tonight. I'm in the UK, Gibraltar, to be precise. I'm sleeping on The Rock!

Gibraltar really is a giant rock perched at the tip of Spain. I took the ferry to Algeciras, which is just an industrial center. You can see where I disembarked in the distance in this pic. From there I took a bus to La Linea, literally the line between Spain and the UK. That's in the far right of the pic. From there I walked to Gibraltar. You can see the airstrip the British military built. It goes right across the main street. I had to stop at a streetlight for several minutes to let a plane take off.



The scenery is simply awesome.



It's also the home of barbary apes, the only wild monkeys in all of Europe. They roam freely, but they're so accustomed to humans that you might have to step around them to get up the steps.



A guidebook I read said the colony is like a snapshot of 1960s England. I wish I could stay longer. I think a dose of English civility was just what I needed. Today I was standing on a street corner with my backpack when a motorist stopped to let me pass. You're more likely to get struck by lightning than have that happen, well, just about anywhere else!




I only hope I haven't extended myself too far. The main reason I'm at this computer is to figure out how to get to Madrid tomorrow to meet Lily!