7/19/2008

A friend in need

I started thinking about this trip and doing research about three years ago. A neighbor of mine named Zach Sowers put me in touch with his friend Pat, who had recently returned from an extended backpacking trip. Meeting Pat really inspired me. But I still kept finding reasons to not do it, rather than figuring out a way to make it happen.

My career was going nowhere, but I didn't know what other career I might like to pursue. I was living in a crappy house in a crappy neighborhood in a crappy town, but I didn't know where I might like to move. I was in a serious rut.

A little over a year ago, and just a few months after he and his wife Anna were married, Zach was attacked by four teenagers in front of his house and beaten into a coma. It happened two blocks from my house. I walked past their house three times a day, every day, when I walked my dogs.

The wretched human offal who run the criminal justice system in Baltimore cut deals with all of the attackers. They told Anna with a straight face that there was no way a Baltimore city jury would convict four African-American teenagers. Part of the deal being that they wouldn't face additional charges if Zach passed away. Sadly, this happened a few months ago.

Friends of Zach's created a support website, which I linked to when I created this blog. When Zach passed away I removed the link. My mistake.

I was quite angry to learn that Anna is still battling with the city. So I have reposted the link to Zach's website. Please read it and do whatever you can to help.

http://zachsowers.com/

When people ask me why I decided to take the trip at this point in my life I usually say "The time was right" or something similarly vague. But the precipitating event was when Zach was attacked. I thought that if I was waiting for a sign that it was time to see the world, that was it.

At the time I was recovering from back surgery, and it took another five months or so to get back to a normal routine. I knew as soon as I was able I would go. I can say in all seriousness that if I hadn't met Zach I wouldn't be traveling now. That sounds a bit selfish, I know, but given the choice I'd rather still be in Baltimore and seeing him in the dog park every day.