7/19/2008

Random thoughts on St Petersburg

I bought my first train ticket yesterday. Quite an adventure. Here it is:



I had hoped to take an overnight train to Moscow, but I waited too long to buy my ticket and there were no seats available. Being an umemployed travel bum, I forget that some people actually, you know, work for a living. So it didn't occur to me that it might be a problem getting a ticket on a Sunday night. All the Muscovites who come to St Petersburg for the weekend take the overnight trains on Sunday so they can be at work on Monday.

So I had to book a train in the afternoon, which means one less day in St Petersburg, which means I won't be able to go to Pushkin Palace and see the famous Amber Room. Bummer.

I went to the Dostoevsky Museum today, which was a ripoff, but I did take this picture, even though I probably wasn't allowed. This is his tobacco box. On the lid his daughter wrote "Papa died today" and the date of his death.



(Note to my Russian friends: This is what the audio guide said it says. I take no responsibility for the translation.)

It was a nice, sunny day so, despite my first Russian hangover, I took some pictures of some landmarks. Here is one of the canals here in "Northern Venice":



Baltimoreans may recognize this guy. Yuri Temirkanov the Music Director and Chief Conductor of the Saint Petersburg Philharmonic but he was also Music Director of the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra from 2000 until 2006.