11/26/2008

Giving thanks

Today, first and foremost, I'm thankful to feel safe. I've received emails from people wondering if the protests in Thailand are affecting me in any way. If I were trying to fly in or out of the country it would be a problem because the airport has been shut down. I've met quite a few stranded travelers.

The protests are centered on government sites around Bangkok. It's a big city, so it's easy to avoid. There is no unrest in the neighborhood where I am.

I'm also thankful I didn't include India on my travel itinerary, because the logical time to do it would have been after Nepal, which would have meant I'd be there now, maybe even in Mumbai. In Nepal I met dozens of people who were traveling to India. I hope they're OK. The news stations here are covering the attacks in Mumbai and believe me, as a stranger in a foreign country, it worries me. But I do feel safe here. So don't worry.

On a lighter note, I am thankful that today also marks the six-month anniversary of the beginning of my adventure. When I envisioned this trip I hoped to backpack through Asia. My departure was delayed a bit, so I couldn't go with the original plan, which was to start here in Bangkok. So although I'm halfway done in a way I'm just beginning!

I've been island-hopping for the past ten days or so and hope to have a post about it soon, but in the mean time I want to say how grateful I am for all the support I've received from friends, family, former colleagues and even complete strangers from home. There have been days when I've been tired, frustrated, lonely, etc. Knowing that people are paying attention has given me an extra boost on days like that.

To those of you who have contributed to my travel fund, thanks very much. It's been a huge, welcome surprise, and a big help.

I'd also like to thank all the wonderful people, too numerous to mention, that I've met along the way, that have helped to make the first half of this odyssey so wonderful and memorable.

To my family and friends back home: Happy Thanksgiving!