11/14/2008

Hello from Bangkok

The Thai word for hello is sawatdee and is traditionally accompanied by a wai, a slight bow of the head with the palms of the hands held as in prayer. The higher the hands are held in relation to the face and the lower the bow, the more respect the giver of the wai is showing.

Farangs aren't expected to wai, but I thought it would be nice to learn, so I had a local demonstrate.



So far, though, it hasn't been necessary to learn. All the signs are in
English and virtually everyone I've encountered speaks English. The one exception was the cab driver who drove me from the airport. Finding the hostel was a treat.

As thankful as I am that communication isn't an issue, I'm vaguely disappointed that in Bangkok, of all cities, it's so easy. The exotic mystique of the city is diminished somewhat every time I walk by a Burger King or Subway or 7-11. I'm not upset to see Starbucks, though. I went almost two months without a decent cup of coffee.