5/05/2009

Day 341

After over 11 months I am back where I was on Day 1.

I didn't make it to my goal of a year, but I came darned close. I could have scratched out a few more weeks in SE Asia, but it was time.

For 11 months I've been living a dream. Now it's time to wake up. I thought I would burn out or get homesick or reach a point where I was tired of living out of a backpack and wearing the same clothes, but no. I am not ready to return to reality.

Please understand that I do have a sense of perspective. I know I am blessed. I have stood at the foot of the world's highest mountain and wandered the halls of the biggest religious building ever constructed. I have seen some of the world's greatest art, tasted some of the best food, been humbled by the kindness and generosity of strangers and awed by the exploits of true adventurers I've been privileged to meet.

And I have been buoyed by the support of friends and family back home.

I am incredibly fortunate. I know that. But I am sad it's over. And I think that's fair :-)

My flight home took 33 hours, plus the additional 30 minutes I had to wait for my father to pick me up at the airport. My parents were watching my sister's children that night, so I was greeted with lots of hugs and a custom-made "Welcome Home" sign.



My brain is still mush from the time change. When I'm operating at full strength again I'll publish a few more posts.