5/12/2009

The best part of traveling

It's such a cliche but it's true: It's the people you meet that make traveling so fun.

I'd like to thank a few of the people I met along the way who helped make the trip so magical. Most of the people I've met have been friendly, fascinating, fun, adventurous, generous ... I could go on. This list is nowhere near conclusive.

Pablito, Frida and Anette - My trip started in Granada, Nicaragua with Tropical Storm Alma directly overhead. It could have been a disaster but I was lucky enough to have met some of my favorite travel buddies on my very first day. Thanks for helping the trip get off to a good start despite the weather.

Kelly and Ella - I wasn't looking forward to my 41st birthday, but then I didn't expect to celebrate it with two gorgeous college girls on a Caribbean island! Thanks for one of the best birthdays I've had in years.

Ani, Ale and Dani - The Sahara trip could have been a complete disaster: three days in a crowded van in desert heat with the world's worst tour guide and me sick as a dog. It's a blessing to meet a travel companion who is fun, smart, adventurous and beautiful. It was nothing short of a miracle that I ended up traveling with the three of you.

Lily - One of my bestest friends in the whole wide world and my travel buddy in Spain, who was kind enough to make sure I saw every single piece of art in Madrid.

My guardian angel in St Petersburg - I'm not even sure you're real. How could the first person I met in Russia be an impossibly beautiful woman who is one of the few people I met in Russia who speaks fluent English? You said your name is Tracy. I may have dreamed you, but without your help I'd still be trying to figure out the subway in St Petersburg.

Mike and Laurie - I woke up on my first morning in Russia to find an Aussie couple in my dorm getting ready to explore St Petersburg. They were nice enough to invite me along on their adventures for two days, which was especially nice since Mike speaks Russian! Thanks for helping me ease into the most difficult country on the trip.

Volker and Heidi - We met in Moscow and then again in Ulaanbaatar. Thanks for inviting me along on the trip to the festival at the monastery and for all the good advice about Nepal.

Francois - We may have taken a few wrong turns but I appreciated your help finding my way around Moscow (and loved teasing you about your romance with the local girl). Count on me visiting you. (Note: He lives in Paris!)

The rest of the Yellow Blue Bus gang - Eric, Kiyoshi, Venk, Alex, Olga and Jack/Zhenya. My first few days in Moscow were stressful, since I arrived there sans wallet. The hostel was the smallest I stayed in: 16 beds, one toilet, one shower, one computer and one tiny kitchen. But you all made me feel at home and helped me resolve a difficult situation.

Kjerstin - It would have been a long three-plus days on the Trans-Siberian without your company. I'm sure we'll meet again. I'm equally sure beer will figure prominently.

The Dutch contingent on the Trans-Siberian - Thanks for making me feel like part of the family!

Katia - My Russian dream girl. One of my favorite memories of the journey was the night we sat up late talking at the kitchen table at the hostel in Irkutsk. Just my luck: I finally meet the perfect woman and she lives in Siberia!

Ally - Thanks for showing me around Ulaanbaatar. I understand why you keep going back to Mongolia.

The Mongolian couple I met on the train from Ulaanbaatar to Beijing - I had difficulty pronouncing your names so I know I can't spell them in English or Mongolian! I should have had asked you to write them down for me. Thanks for the ice cream. And congratulations -- by now you should be parents!

Elias and Sarah - Thanks for inviting me to the night market in Beijing, something I would have never thought to even try. Thanks to you I know what fried seahorses and scorpions taste like!

Jade and Xan - Yes, people, those are the actual names of Australian sisters I met in Kathmandu, and they look like you'd expect girls named Jade and Xan to look. Sorry we didn't have more time to hang out in Kathmandu. I kept waiting for you to invite me to join you in Indonesia but you never took the bait...

Ricky and Michal - Thanks for making the only American in a group of Israelis feel so comfortable and welcome. I will take you up on your invitation to visit!

Michael - We met in the back of a tuk-tuk in Ayuttayah and ended up spending several days touring northern Thailand. You've seen more of the world than anyone I've met and yet you're still as enthusiastic as a newbie traveler like me. You can count on a visit from me, too! (Note: He lives in Munich.)

Nila - I had so much fun hanging out with you in Phnom Penh I stayed an extra day. I'm glad I did, and would have stayed longer...

Jess and Ngon - Ironically it was in Nha Trang, the most touristy town in Vietnam, that I had my first "authentic" experience. Thanks for taking me out for real Vietnamese food. Jess, I'm sorry I couldn't make to Sydney to visit you. One day...

Nick and Evan - Two of the few Americans I met in SE Asia. We were sitting together on the ferry from Cambodia to Vietnam. Evan is from Towson! I learned a lot watching you interact with the locals.

Erich - The owner of my guest house in Siem Reap has worked in the tourist industry in SE Asia for over 20 years. He gave me a couple secret tips for Angkor Wat. I've met dozens of people who have been there and no one knew about either.

Emma and Phil - Another case of dumb luck, getting squeezed into a minivan next to a friendly and fun Irish couple. Thanks for the companionship. Phonsavan would have been a lonely place!

Phoan, Dada, Sompeh and Sam - My beach girls from Sihanoukville. I spent far too much money on bracelets and fruit, but it was worth it for your company.

Thanh - I almost hopped off the bus in Mui Ne to hang out with you. You're a hard person to track down but I'm glad we kept in touch!

Luong - The reason I flew four times in seven days. Need I say more?

Lan - I spent a lot more time in Hanoi than I should have, but it was worth it to spend time with you.