10/05/2009

As seen on Discovery Channel

I went for a walk on the beach in Sihanoukville, Cambodia, hoping to get away from the crowds. We passed the restaurants and came to an empty stretch of beach where we saw more cows than people.


We also saw something I thought was really cool, something I'd seen on TV but never in person. When the tide goes out countless little crabs come out of the sand to feed. They sift through the sand looking for treats. In the process they roll the sand into little marbles.


These are industrious little critters. This little guy is about as big as the nail on my pinky finger, yet he and his buddies clear acres of beach. The dark patch here is one of many areas already scavenged.


I could have watched the little buggers scurry around for hours. My friend wasn't as impressed. Yep, it's yet another chapter in "Things that may interest only me".