1/09/2010

A sad day

I went to work yesterday.

I resigned from my last job on December 31, 2007, so it's been more than two years since I had to get up and go to work.

I know it's childish, but I wish I never had to work again. I've been living in a fantasy world for the past 18 months and I don't want it to end. I haven't actually found a job, though. I was full-day substitute at an international school on the outskirts of Saigon.

There are basically three places where someone like me can hope to teach. I did my teaching practice in a public school. Working conditions there were chaotic, like in a city school in the US. The big difference here is that kids, while rambunctious and chatty, are generally respectful of teachers. Public school jobs are easy to get but don't pay as well.

Language centers are the best bet for a new teacher like me. These are private, modern facilities where students pay to learn English. Pay is usually better and -- for me this is a big "and" -- they're air-conditioned.

Both public schools and language centers pay by the hour, literally by the amount of hours taught. If you are on campus for six hours but you only teach two hours, you get paid for two hours.

Where you want to end up is at an international school. These are usually fairly impressive campuses where rich local students go to school with children of foreigners. Teachers are paid extremely well.

Because families pay out the wazoo to send their kids to these schools the standards for teachers are high. It's something to work towards. You pay your dues in the public schools and language centers and hope to get your foot in the door at an international school.

My foot is in the door.

Miss Kim, the woman who runs the travel desk at my hotel, put me in touch with a fellow American named Gabriel, who has been teaching in Vietnam for five years. Without even meeting me, Gabriel arranged for me to visit his school and meet the principal. They asked me if I would be willing to substitute as needed.

Heck yes!

I had six classes, but the teachers provided lessons and material. All I needed to do is get through the day without the kids burning the building down. Mission accomplished!

I was terrified, but I had a great time. The kids were well-behaved, the staff was incredibly welcoming and supportive. I made it very clear that I would be happy to pinch hit in the future. This is the school's website. Check out the facilities! Check out the pool!

http://vietnam.acgedu.com/

I really needed this experience. It reminded me of why I wanted to work in Vietnam. You can make a comfortable living and save money working as a teacher here. Gabriel and I stopped by his house. He has a house, an actual free-standing house, with a maid. He dresses well and has a brand-new motorcycle. He's living extremely well, but he's not even certified. He's almost finished earning a teaching certification. Then he'll get bumped into the next pay bracket.

Now I know what I'm working towards.

That's the good news.

I've been submitting resumes at language centers, especially who have advertised online that they need teachers. I want to exhaust that avenue before I apply at public schools. I haven't heard from any of them. Not a peep. It could be that my resume isn't very good or that they want people with more experience.

Or it could be that this is a really lousy time to look for a job. A classmate of mine, who's been teaching in Saigon for years, said this time of year schools are gearing down for Tet. That's the lunar new year celebration, by far the biggest holiday of the year in these parts. Most of the country completely shuts down for at least a week, even two, as most people travel home to spend the week with their families.

Even schools that are open during Tet have a drastically reduced schedule. Tet starts on Valentine's Day. I may have to take a job, any job, to get me through Tet, and then start looking again after.

However, I may not be quite done with traveling yet. My visa is almost expired. I could apply for an extension, but, without going into details, it would probably make more sense to leave the country and apply for a new visa. I may have to spend a few days in Bangkok or Phnom Penh. Wouldn't that be awful...